5 Tips for More Energy Efficient Warehouses in New Zealand.
Earth Day 2021 is Thursday, 22nd April - so we are giving you 5 easy tips to make your warehouse more energy efficient.
Managing your warehouse's footprint can seem a daunting task, but it doesn't need to be. In fact, reviewing your processes and machines can prove to be highly beneficial for both the short and long term.
1. MAKE PAPER WASTE A THING OF THE PAST
Even in warehouses, printing costs can build up quick... as well as the paper waste that goes along with it!
It can be a hard habit to break, but moving printed paper to digital mediums can be hugely beneficial for costs AND effective management:
- Cut down on printed reports. If continued information is required to be communicated to staff, look at installing an energy efficient screen to broadcast the information to. Automating this will allow your staff to see critical notifications and information in real time... and it will save in paper waste.
- For general written notes, don't use a new notepad... Instead, use the discarded paper waste from the photocopier and write your notes on the back of these pieces of paper.
- Don't just print out monthly reports for management. Implement a digital option which can be presented on a screen. Not only will it save money, but having reports in a digital form will make you look more professional and additionally, you can share the reports easily via email. You are not only reducing your footprint, you are also making the company more effective in your communication.
- If your company still receives a number of faxes, seek out a digital software alternative. Instead of printing every fax message out, software can turn the fax into a PDF and email it to the relevant department.
2. SUSTAINABLE PACKAGING
Using eco friendly packaging and materials doesn't just help the environment. Kiwis appreciate working with partners who invest in sustainable activity and it is a great message of support as a New Zealand business.
Our friends at Primepac New Zealand have a great range of sustainable packaging products. Check them out below:
3. SUSTAINABLE WAREHOUSE LIGHTING
Every warehouse needs industrial grade illumination, but there are many ways to achieve this and stay on the power-saving side, including natural light sources such as skylights and roof windows, as well as highly-efficient bulbs.
The easiest way to reduce your warehouse lighting electricity bill is to replace old inefficient bulbs with LEDs. LED lights are vastly more energy-efficient and also last up to ten times longer than metal-vapour bulbs. This makes even more sense to the bottom line.
4. WAYS TO CUT DOWN ON WAREHOUSE CONSUMABLES WASTE
For Kiwi businesses, warehouse waste is a number one environmental problem and needs to be tackled first if you want to reduce your carbon footprint.
Warehouse waste materials such as packaging and wrapping materials, oils, chemicals, adhesives and batteries all need to be disposed, taking a great toll to the environment.
Investigate local companies who can recycle difficult materials. Look for ways which you can cut down the materials used in the transport of your goods.
Pallet Wrapping Machines are a great environmentally friendly option if you are a larger business that ships larger quantities of goods.
The OneWrap by SIAT is a quality, European made pallet wrapper.
This Pallet Wrapper can stretch wrapping film by up to 30%, greatly reducing your throwaway waste. Being eco-friendly can also be handy on the profitability of your business.
See more products in this range
5. PHASE IN ENERGY EFFICIENT EQUIPMENT
If some of your warehouse equipment is quite old, it's likely there are new and more efficient alternatives available on the market since you purchased your last one. So, whenever a machine comes to the end of its life, don't just buy a direct replacement of what you last had — instead, investigate what eco-friendly options are out there.
It is always a good idea to buy high quality equipment if you can afford it. Not only will better tools make your warehouse process run more effectively, but they should also last much longer — especially if they're used and serviced correctly.
Plus, the best tools will be equipped with the latest and most efficient technology, which will save you time, hassle and profit.
Taking these initial steps to make your warehouse more eco friendly won't just help the environment — it is also good for your profit margins.
By taking these steps, you can be sure that you're doing your bit for the planet, while also having your business' best interests at heart.